What is evidence of ownership.

Original sales purchase or till receipt or other evidence which clearly demonstrates ownership. This may include but is not limited to bank/credit card statement, dealer valuation including a photograph of the bicycle. The evidence should clearly show date, price paid and details of the bicycle, accessories and approved lock.

Can I insure my bike if it is second hand or more than 3 years old?

Yes, you should insure the bike for the second hand value. This is known as the indemnity value where a deduction is made for wear and tear.

Will my bicycle be covered for theft if it is left at a train or bus station?

Yes, providing the bicycle has been secured to an immovable object with an approved lock and has not been left for more than 24 hours at any one time.

Do I need to have an approved lock?

Yes your lock should be a Thatcham approved lock for cycles up to the value of £1500 alternatively a rated Sold Secure lock dependent on your bicycle value:
- Insured value under £500 require a Bronze rated lock
- Insured value under £1000 require a Silver rated lock
- Insured value over £1000 require a Gold rated lock

What should I do if my lock isn't on the sold secure list?

You will need to purchase a lock which meets the minimum required standard for the value of your bicycle to ensure you are covered. You are able to use your other lock as a second lock on the bicycle.

Do I have to let you know if I change my bicycle throughout my policy period?

Yes, we will need to know the make and model of all bicycles you wish to insure. If there is an increase in the value of the bicycle your premium may also change.

What is classed as an accessory?

Accessories include helmets, shoes, locks, jerseys or vests, base layer, gilets, glasses & goggles, jackets, shorts, trousers, wetsuits, backpacks, helmet mounted bicycle cameras, bicycle computers, cycling GPS unit, lights, bicycle luggage, bicycle tools, bicycle armour & guards.

Do I need to include any spare wheels in the cost of the bicycle or are they included in accessories?

Any spare parts or wheels which are not permanently attached to the bicycle should be included in the accessory section.

How do I value my bicycle if it is made up of different parts and has been customised?

Overall cost of parts using original receipts.

Can I include my son/daughters bicycle within the total value insured?

Yes, you can include any bicycles owned by family members as long as they live at the same address.

If I bought my bike in a sale what should the value be that I insure it for?

You must ensure that the value you selected is sufficient to cover the replacement cost of the cycle once the sale has finished.

Do I need to follow any guidelines to keep my bike safe and secure?

Watch our video to understand the guidelines you need to follow in order to avoid an unpaid claim.


Who are Ripe?

We are one of the UK’s leading specialists in niche insurance products. Over 220,000 policyholders have already chosen Ripe for their sports, leisure, personal and business insurance. Our fresh approach to insurance is all about making insurance easy-to-buy, simple-to-understand, jargon-free and excellent value. We ensure that our insurance practices not only meet but exceed the standards set by the Financial Conduct Authority, giving our customers a clear understanding of our insurance products and providing a first-class insurance service. Find out about how we do things differently here.

What is the Ripe Guarantee?

The Ripe Guarantee incorporates all the things that are great about Ripe. With the Ripe Guarantee, you’ll get great cover and exceptional service at the right price. Click here to find out more.

How do I make a claim?

To make a claim visit our How to claim page.

Do I have to let you know if I am taking my bicycle abroad?

No, however you will need to ensure your policy has been upgraded to include European or Worldwide cover depending on what your requirements are, this can be added at any time throughout the policy.

Am I able to split my payments up or pay monthly?

Yes, you can pay monthly on annual policies over £50. Our monthly payments are arranged through our partner Premium Credit Limited. Paying the premium on a monthly basis is subject to an interest charge. You will be required to pay a 20% deposit and the remainder will be split over 9 equal monthly instalments.

What is the excess against Public Liability and Equipment cover?

- Bicycle Equipment & Accessories – £25 or 5% of the claim amount, whichever is the greater
- Damage to 3rd Party Property - £300
- 3rd Party Injury - £500
The excess for Bicycle Equipment, Accessories, 3rd Party Property Damage or 3rd Party Injury can however be waived by selecting the “Excess Waiver” option on your policy.

Do you cover trailers?

Not currently but is something we may look to introduce in the future.

Do you cover bike boxes?

Yes, we can cover a bike box for theft, loss or damage under the bicycle accessory section. Just choose the best level of cover to suit the value of your bike box and any other accessories you would want to cover.

Do you cover couriers?


Do I need ‘Competitive Use’ to ensure I am covered when entering bicycle charity events?

No the competitive use is only applicable if a winner is selected during an organised event.

Is there an age limit on Cycleplan policies?

We cannot cover under 16's and over 85's for public liability

If you are under 18, the death benefit on your Personal Accident cover is reduced to the following limits:
Level 1 - £2,000
Level 2 - £5,000
Level 3 - £10,000

I'm buying a bike through a Cycle to Work scheme – will this affect my premium?

No, this will not affect your insurance or your premium. Please just make us aware if you take part in this scheme.

Do you insure Professional Cyclists?

We are unable to provide cover for professional cyclists.

What is the recovery number?

Call Assist Ltd - 0333 400 2848

Do I need ‘Competitive Use’ to take part in a Sportive?

No, you do not need competitive use cover to take part in a Sportive.

I'm buying a bike through a Cycle to Work scheme – will this affect anything if I need to make a claim?

If you need to make a claim, please let us know that you have purchased the bike through a Cycle to Work scheme. You will need to send us the original sales purchase or till receipt as proof of purchase and a copy of the hire agreement. Even if the claim is made during the initial 12 month “hire period”, the claim will be settled directly with you, the policyholder.


What does Legal Expenses cover you for?

Any legal costs incurred when pursuing a claim against a third party for any uninsured losses or personal injury following a road accident. Or taking legal action against a relevant local authority following damage to your bike as a result of a pot hole.

I already have public liability is Legal Expenses not covered under this?

No, if you have public liability you have legal costs covered to defend the action but not to take action against others.

Is there an excess on a legal expenses claim?


Public Liability

Can I add family members to my policy to cover them for Public Liability?

We do not currently operate a family policy. Each person must have their own policy to protect them for Public Liability. You can however insure a family members bicycle for theft and accidental damage if they live at the same address named on the schedule.

What does Public Liability cover you for?

Accidental bodily or mental injury, death or disease or accidental damage to any person or accidental third party property damage which arises from your use or ownership of a cycle.

An excess of £300 for each and every claim arising from damage to third party property.

An excess of £500 for each and every claim arising from third party injury.

This cover is not available to persons aged under 16 and over 85.

If your question is not here or you would like any further clarification, please email: admin@cycleplan.co.uk